Days After Police Shooting, 3 Arrested Amid Violence At Georgia Tech Vigil

Three people arrested and students ordered to shelter in place at the Georgia Institute of Technology in Atlanta during violent protests

3 arrested in Georgia Tech protests after vigil for student killed by police

After a vigil for Schultz Monday evening, a smaller group of about 50 protesters marched to the Georgia Tech Police Department.

What started out as a peaceful vigil on September 18 for Scout Schultz-the student shot by police two days prior in what looks to have been a suicide by cop-turned violent after about 50 protesters marched on the Georgia Tech police department.

According to a statement from the Georgia Bureau of Investigation, Georgia Tech Police officers received a 911 call around 11:17 p.m. Saturday about a person described as a "white male, with long blond hair, white T-shirt and blue jeans who is possibly intoxicated, holding a knife and possibly armed with a gun on his hip".

It said Mr Shultz was armed with a knife and was not cooperative or complying with officers' commands.

"They seemed fine. Friends said they seemed fine", Lynne Schultz told the New York Daily News, using the pronoun "they" for her child, as the student asked people to do.

Their mother added: "Why didn't they use some non-lethal force, like pepper spray or Tasers?"

Georgia Tech University issued an emergency alert and asked student to stay inside.

A peaceful vigil was held in honor of Schultz Monday night, but a protest that took place immediately afterward led to three arrests and the burning of a police vehicle in the street. But after the violence outside the police building, the family released another statement.

"A total of 3 suicide notes were located in Schultz's dormitory room", an updated statement from the Georgia Bureau of Investigation (GBI) read.

Schultz's family had urged the protesters to remain peaceful, in a statement through attorney Chris Stewart.

More news: Pelosi Battles Pro-Amnesty Demonstrators At DREAM Act Event

The vigil for Scout Schultz was attended by almost 500 people, including Schultz's family, according to Georgia Tech President G.P. "Bud" Peterson.

Schultz ignored multiple orders to drop the weapon and stand still, and was shot once by police.

Georgia Tech reportedly identified another arrestee as Cassandra Monden, but no charges appear under her name in the police database. Schultz continued to advance on the officers with the knife.

While no gun was found at the scene, a multi-purpose tool contained a knife was recovered. Its blade was not extended, according to The Journal Constitution. A Washington Post database shows 706 people have been shot and killed by US police this year.

Video footage of the ensuing standoff shows Schultz slowly walking toward officers and shouting, "Shoot me".

"Come on, man, let's drop the knife", an officer, gun drawn, tells the student.

Schultz continues to walk towards officers, telling them again to shoot whim while they tell him a dozen more times to drop the knife.

It was at this point that "I realized this was going to be very bad", a student named Xincheng Shen told CNN.

"Scout's sudden and tragic death today has been devastating news for the Schultz family and classmates - and for members of the community who knew Scout personally, the shock and grief are particularly acute", said John Stein, Georgia Tech's dean of students and vice president for Student Life. Losing a student, friend, colleague, and campus leader is one of the most hard experiences that any of us will have to face.

Latest News