Mother of Sherin Mathews Arrested, Charged With Child Endangerment

Police arrest charge Sherin Mathews adoptive mother for endangerment

Sini Mathews and Sherin Mathews

Sini Mathews was charged with child abandonment or endangerment in connection with the death of 3-year-old Sherin Mathews, who was reported missing on October 7.

The Richardson Police Department in Texas has arrested and charged Sini Mathews with "Abandoning or Endangering a Child" a charge that amounts to a State Jail Felony.

The affidavit adds that Wesley Mathews confessed on October 23, a day after the child's body was discovered around a mile away from their home, that he grew impatient when Sherin refused to drink her milk, and told the police that he asked his wife to accompany him for dinner outside, and she agreed. He initially said he sent Sherin Mathews outside to an alley near their house about 3 a.m. because she refused to drink her milk.

Regarding Mathews' changed statements, Richardson Police Sgt. Kevin Perlich said, "When they came in, they provided us with some information that was contrary to what we had previously been told regarding her disappearance".

During an interview with police that day, according to an arrest warrant affidavit, Wesley Mathews told police that he and his wife went out to eat with their biological daughter on October 6, leaving Sherin Mathews at home in the kitchen because she wouldn't drink her milk.

Sini Mathews said she was sleeping when Sherin disappeared and was unaware of what took place overnight between the child and her father. An itemized receipt showed they had purchased only one child's meal, in addition to the adults' meals.

More news: Trump tweets about the wrong mass shooting, gets trolled

The investigation into the girl's death is ongoing. Sherin's cause of death is still pending. The police said the accused turned herself in on Thursday and that her bond has been set at $250,000. Sherin was left behind at the family's home for about an hour and a half reportedly because she would not drink her milk.

There is now no evidence to corroborate Wesley Mathews statement that Sherin was still alive when her family returned home.

She was reported missing the next day. He is being held in Dallas County, Texas jail on $1 million bail. Those results will be made available when complete, police said. When her adoptive parents returned, she was "still in the kitchen". "It's not necessarily related to her death, it's related to her care that she was being given while she was in that home".

- The Richardson mother of a girl found dead has formally heard the charges against her.

Mathews told investigators that the toddler began to choke and after coughing for a while her breathing slowed. The child was expected to be placed in the care of family in the Houston area following Monday's hearing.

Latest News