Israel Condemns Vicious Terror Slaughter at Northern Sinai Mosque

Egypt Sinai: Bomb and gun attack on mosque

Dozens Of People Are Reported To Have Died In A Huge Attack On A Mosque In Egypt

The attack was the largest single targeting of Egyptian civilians and the first on a large mosque congregation since the IS affiliate began its campaign of violence against the state following the military's 2013 overthrow of an elected but divisive Islamist president.

According to the TV network, the mosque was attacked during the Friday prayer in the Al Rawdah inhabited community near the city of Arish, the capital of North Sinai Governorate. The attackers also opened fire upon the people as they tried exiting the mosque.

The public prosecutors' office said in a statement 235 people had been killed and 109 more wounded.

Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi has vowed to avenge victims of the brutal attack in the country's restive Sinai Peninsula, one of worst terror attacks in the nation's recent history.

He added in his tweet "The world can not tolerate terrorism, we must defeat them militarily and discredit the extremist ideology that forms the basis of their existence". Our strength & resolve will overpower their extremist ideology. Egypt's presidency has also declared a three-day mourning period, Egyptian state news agency MENA reported.

View of the Rawda mosque after a gun and bombing attack on November 24, 2017.

More news: Uber isn't saying how many Canadians were affected by year-old hack

British Ambassador to Egypt John Casson deplored the terrorist attack that targeted innocent worshipers.

Friday's attack drew swift condemnation from leaders throughout the Middle East and beyond.

UK Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson said he was deeply saddened by the "abhorrent attack". Condolences with all those in #Egypt affected by this evil and cowardly act.

On the Jordanian royal family's official Twitter account, King Abdullah II condemned what he called a "heinous terrorist attack". "India resolutely supports the fight against all forms of terrorism and stands with the people as well as Government of Egypt".

European Parliament President Antonio Tajani tweeted: "Heartbreaking loss of life in the cowardly massacre that took place in Egypt. Acts of barbarism and hatred in the name of God are acts against God himself".

Latest News