9 killed after gunmen storm Pakistan student accommodation

Markets in Peshawar have been kept closed as the city remains in the grip of grief on Saturday

Markets in Peshawar have been kept closed as the city remains in the grip of grief on Saturday

At least 12 people have been reportedly injured in a firing incident in Peshawar's Agriculture Directorate located next to a hostel of the Peshawar University on Friday. The operation is ongoing.

Police said at least three militants opened fire at security guards near the gates of the Agriculture Training Institute, injuring one person before making their way inside and targeting student accommodation.

The compound includes a hostel facility for diploma students and there were around 100 people there at the time of attack, police said.

Four people have been injured in the firing.

Security officials said that militants clad in burqa used an auto rickshaw to reach the building.

Talking to media, Inspector General of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) Salahuddin Mehsud confirmed the attack and said that the terrorists will be dealt sternly.

A spokesman for the Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan, Muhammad Khurasani, claimed responsibility for the attack in a telephone call to foreign wire service AFP.

More news: Tiger Woods briefly takes lead, in contention at Hero World Challenge

Taliban militants stormed a training institute in Pakistan's northwestern city of Peshawar Friday, as the country marked the birthday of the Prophet Mohammed.

Those injured in the attack include a gatekeeper, journalist of a Channel-24 channel, two students among others.

An interior ministry official told AFP that cellular networks had been suspended in various cities across the country for security reasons.

Security was also tight after weeks-long anti-blasphemy protests in Islamabad that saw seven killed and hundreds wounded in clashes with police.

In a similar attack, Pakistani Taliban gunmen, in December 2014, had killed 134 children at Peshawar's Army Public School.

Peshawar Capital City Police Officer Tahir Khan and SSP operations were reported to have led the operation which has now been completed.

Latest News