The controversy over a possible Syria border force first started on January 14 when a report emerged on Reuters saying that the military coalition led by the USA in Syria was planning to set up a large border force of up to 30,000 personnel with the aid of its militia allies.
Reportedly, battles are also underway to liberate Maranez and Bafel heights.
Turkey′s military incursion into the Kurdish-controlled northern Syrian canton of Afrin - launched on 20 January under the slighting codename Operation Olive Branch - ought to have taken no-one by surprise.
Manning said the US troops "do not operate with Kurdish forces in Afrin".
Meanwhile, French president Emmanuel Macron warned Turkey against a full-scale invasion of Afrin, and appealed to his Turkish counterpart, Tayyip Recep Erdogan, to respect Syria's sovereignty.
Turkey's Catholic Church, whose seven dioceses and apostolic vicariates have around 53,000 members, according to the Vatican, has not commented on the military campaign. Ankara, which considers the Kurdish People's Protection Units (YPG) militia in Syria a "terror" group, has vowed to carry on and possibly expand the operation despite global concern.More news: 'Person of interest' in Las Vegas massacre identified from court records
Turkey's Anadolu Agency said Syrian Kurdish fighters in Afrin fired two rockets, hitting a house and a garden wall in the town of Reyhanli.
Turkish Prime Minister Binali Yildirim told a press conference in Ankara that 17-year-old Fatma Avlar was killed in a rocket attack.
The United States has no plans to withdraw troops stationed near the town of Manbij in northern Syria despite warnings from Turkey to remove its forces immediately, CNN quoted the US Central Command chief General Joseph Votel as saying.
The attacks have so far killed four people, including Avlar.
Macron says in an interview with French newspaper Le Figaro that Turkey must co-ordinate with allies, and that its operation must be limited to fighting terror.